United States President Donald Trump has said that American forces, working alongside the Nigerian Armed Forces, have killed Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, described as the second-in-command of the Islamic State (ISIS) globally, in a joint military operation.
According to a statement published on his Truth Social account on Saturday, the operation was carried out following what he described as “extensive intelligence gathering and strategic coordination” aimed at tracking the activities of the militant leader across Africa.
Trump said al-Minuki was a key operational figure within ISIS, allegedly involved in planning and supporting attacks against civilians and Western interests across Africa. He added that the mission was intended to weaken the group’s global network and reduce its operational capacity on the continent.
The US President praised the Nigerian government and its military authorities for their cooperation, describing the operation as “meticulously planned and very complex.” He said American and Nigerian forces “flawlessly executed” the mission.
Nigerian authorities have not yet issued an independent confirmation of the operation or provided details on the location or timing of the strike.
The development was first reported by The Guardian, which cited Trump’s statement on Truth Social and noted that Al-Minuki had previously been designated a “specially designated global terrorist” by US authorities in 2023 due to his alleged links with ISIS operations in the Sahel region.
US officials have previously said that American forces have been supporting Nigerian counterterrorism operations in a non-combat role, including intelligence sharing and training assistance, as part of broader efforts to contain ISIS and al-Qaeda-linked insurgencies in West Africa.
The Nigerian government has yet to confirm the incident independently or comment on the circumstances surrounding the reported operation.
0 Comments